“Regardless of how things may appear on the surface, nothing of eternal value is ever released without somebody, somewhere PRAYING.” – David Smithers
I was insanely convicted last week while reading “Apart From Prayer We Can Do Nothing” by David Smithers – a prayer preparation article sent to me by the IMB. As I was reading about the importance of prayer, I came across this sentence, and it rocked my world: “Hell is larger today than it was yesterday, because many of us have not prayed”.
Lives are at stake. SOULS are at stake. Prayer is the greatest tool we have on this earth to seek the face of God and ask Him to move in hearts and lives. It is vital.
SO… here are a few prayer requests from the IMB regarding Johannesburg, where I will be living. You can download the actual file HERE.
“A First World city on a Third World continent, Johannesburg, South Africa is not only a major city in Sub-Saharan Africa and host of the 2010 soccer World Cup, but also one of the world’s leading financial centers. With 52 murders each day, 200,000 robberies, 55,000 rapes and 500,000 cases of assault and attempted murder reported in South Africa each year, it looks as though Johannesburg is a city in need of a Savior. As with most major cities, there is a church available for almost any faith. However, the salvation story is being drowned out by the din of urbanization and the pursuit of worldly pleasure and gain.
• Pray for revival in the churches of Johannesburg, that believers’ hearts would burn to share the Gospel message.
• Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among the 10,267,700 residents of Greater Johannesburg, that they would recognize their need for a Savior.
• South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country in the world (approximately 5.7 million by 2007 estimates). Pray for believers to address this issue biblically. Pray that people will have a lifestyle change.
• Pray that believers will always be ready with a word of witness.”
Pray Psalm 28 over the country of South Africa.
In regards to praying for me, here are a few key items at this point:
- That I would keep my focus on spiritual preparation as much as physical preparation.
- That these last few weeks with family and friends would be a sweet time for all of us.
- That I am willing to allow the Lord to use me however He sees fit, however uncomfortable it may be.
- For safety for me and my team members (Katy & Alex).
- For favor among the people of Johannesburg as we share our lives and the gospel with them.
- For direction as far as which church to attend and which ministries to get involved in.
- For direction for my future after Hands On. That the Lord would clearly direct me to what is next after May – whether it be extending my time in SA or returning home.
Thank you all for your prayers! They are felt and I am so very overwhelmed by your support.
“The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” James 5:16b