I turn 30 next week.
The pressure of the big 3-0 is looming.
As I near this milestone, I’ve had to step back and evaluate my life – where I’ve been, where I am and where I’m going. This has, at times, been disheartening and stressful, but more than anything it has been refreshing. I am so grateful for all that I’ve been able to do and learn and love in these three decades.
And because it is nearly impossible to capture these 10,957 days in one blog post, I decided to just focus on the last 365.
So here is a list of 29 Things that Happened to Me at 29…
- I lived in a place that actually has seasons.
- I saw Aerosmith in concert.
- I helped deliver a baby.
- In one day I ate breakfast in Massachusetts, lunch in New Hampshire and dinner in Maine.
- I spent a weekend in Miami for a photo shoot.
- I saw Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers in concert at The Hollywood Bowl.
- I was a member of both the High Museum of Art and the Atlanta History Center.
- I met a Holocaust Survivor at a Yom HaShoah Holocaust Remembrance Event.
- I got a standing desk at work.
- I made more trips to the dog park than I can count.
- I helped over 25 families go on a magical Disney vacation!
- I hosted enough gender reveals and baby showers to last a lifetime.
- I struggled through a long period of reverse culture shock.
- I saw Sam Smith, Johnnyswim and Us the Duo in concert.
- I attended my first college football game, and it wasn’t pretty (Ole Miss, Chick-fil-A Bowl).
- I sold several of my photographs on Lightstock.com.
- I saw Mamma Mia, The Little Mermaid and Newsies at The Fox Theatre and the world premiere of Tuck Everlasting at the Alliance Theatre (and yay it’s going to Broadway!)
- I became an advocate for Compassion International.
- My family and I celebrated Christmas early at Disney World!
- I met Bob Goff! (his name is just begging for an exclamation mark isn’t it??)
- I grew to love antiquing.
- A wand picked me at Ollivander’s Wand Shop at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- I watched every episode of Sherlock, The Blacklist and Parks & Recreation on Netflix.
- I read 11 books for the first time and re-read 3 others.
- I became a blog contributor/music curator for Solohope.
- I saw Much Ado About Nothing, The Taming of the Shrew, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare and A Christmas Carol at The Shakespeare Tavern.
- I shot a gun for the first time.
- I did freelance design for mission trips, documentaries, cartoons, churches, baby celebrations, graduations, conferences and tourism companies.
- And finally, one of the most memorable items on my list: My sister, mother and I spent an entire day with my grandmother (my last remaining grandparent) snuggled up in the smallest room in her house looking at pictures, reading my grandfather’s letters from his Prisoner of War Camp, and listening to her stories.
If you don’t already, follow along on Instagram – @hayleyacatt!